Kites & Kings/Catskill Review
What is the Catskill Review?
Catskill Review is one of the longest standing publications in New York State of student work since 1970. Catskill Review is an annual collection of student prose, poetry and artwork. The publication is generally 24 pages in length and contains approximately 40 to 50 pieces. Participation is open to students in grades 7-12 in Catskill Area School Study Council member schools.
What is Kites and Kings?
Kites & Kings is an annual collection of student prose, poetry and artwork since 1975! The publication is generally 24 pages in length, and contains approximately 60 to 75 pieces. Participation is open to students in grades K-6 in Catskill Area School Study Council member schools.
Submission Information and Registration Forms
Submissions for the 2018-2019 editions of Kites & Kings and Catskill Review publications are due no later than January 23, 2019. Submission instructions and registration forms will be sent to member school districts early in November, and printable copies will be posted to this website.
**Content: Please note that teachers acting as the initial editors and are asked to take into account the merits of the students’ work when considering pieces for submission. Despite the quality of writing, certain topics may not be appropriate subject matter for this publication, and we appreciate your judgement when considering and selecting submissions. If the subject matter, language, or visual content of the work is considered to be offensive, obscene, or otherwise inappropriate for elementary school audience, CASSC reserves the right to treat submissions accordingly.
- Only original poetry, prose and artwork from the current academic year may be submitted
- All written material must be typed
- Stories (prose) should not exceed 2 typewritten pages in 12-pt font, double-spaced
- Lengthy written pieces should be submitted electronically as word files by e-mail to Jarrin.Hayen@Oneonta.edu, with a “hard copy” (printout) included in the envelope with the registration form
- Please remember that artwork will be reproduced in black and white, usually in reduced size
- Artwork done in pencil should be dark enough to reproduce. (Original artwork is preferred, but a digital file may be submitted as a jpeg.)
- The name of the student, their grade level, the teacher submitting the work, the school district and the corresponding number from the registration form should be typed or printed clearly on either the back or front of each piece that is submitted.
- If submitting works on a disk, please still enclose “hard” copies or printouts of each piece and label them as stated above.
- If a student is submitting more than one piece, list each one separately on the registration form
- The supplied registration form must accompany all submissions and student’s names must be legible on both the work and registration form.
- Please do not submit materials directly to the editor
- Please do not submit stories/poems that are illustrated with art of photography that was not created by the student
- Please do not submit artwork or writing that has been copied from or substantially based upon another artist’s work
- Handwritten material will not be accepted
- Please do not use colored fonts when printing from a computer
- Please do not use colored or “specialty” paper stock
- Please do not submit Catskill Review material in the same envelope as Kites & Kings material and visa versa
- Please do not submit multiple “packets” from different teachers within one envelope
If you have questions regarding the program, or are unsure if your district is currently a member or this CoSer, please contact us.
Suzanne Swantak-Furman, Executive Coordinator
Jarrin Hayen, Assistant Coordinator
243 Fitzelle Hall, SUNY Oneonta
Oneonta, NY 13820