Federal Direct Loan Entrance Counseling
The Federal government requires that you complete a student loan entrance counseling interview before receiving a student loan.
Before you begin, you should have the following information available for each counseling:
- The name of the state that the school you are attending is located.
- The name of the school-Otsego, Delaware, Schoharie and Greene BOCES.
You may complete the entrance counseling by going to www.studentloans.gov and follow these instructions:
- On the opening page go to "Manage My Direct Loan."
- You must sign in using your Social Security Number, the first two digits of your last name, date of birth and the pin number that was assigned to you through the Federal Student aid. If you did not apply for the Pell grant, you may create at pin at this website---http://www.pin.ed.gov
- After you have signed in, enter into the "Complete Entrance Counseling."
- This will bring you to the "Counseling Type" page. Mark the appropriate circle-"I am completing entrance counseling in order to receive loans as an undergraduate student."
- Begin reading the information about the quiz and continue on to each page of the quiz. There will be questions at the end of each section for you to answer.
The entrance counseling interview will provide you with:
- Information on how much money you can borrow.
- The types of loans you may apply for and the interest rates for each one.
- Your rights and responsibilities as a borrower in the Federal student loan program.
- Forbearance, deferment, hardship disability, discharge and forgiveness.
- Other important loan servicing and default consequence information.