Legislation and/or Regulation:
While many agencies regulate various aspects of asbestos in schools, the Department of Labor governs worker safety, and in the case of the NYS DOL, asbestos worker certification and building occupant safety during renovation and demolition.
What the SRM Service can do to help:
Training and Workshops:
- Asbestos Awareness Training:
- We can provide the required annual training to your custodial-maintenance staff regarding safe work practices in buildings containing asbestos.
- LEA Designated Official Training:
- We can provide training to your LEA-designated responsible person covering the proper management practices for asbestos in schools.
- Assistance in maintaining worker asbestos training and certification.
- Coordinate disposal of asbestos during renovation and construction.
- Conduct a mandated pre-demolition survey for asbestos prior to building demolition.
- Advisement and specification review for proposed asbestos abatement projects.
- Obtain samples and provide testing.