Skip to Main Content

Otsego Northern Catskills





What is ENL?
English as a New Language is a program in which non-native English speakers learn English.

What are ENL services?
English As A New Language (ENL)
A certified teacher provides direct and indirect instructional support to students who come from a home where a language, other than English, is spoken.  Services are provided in accordance with Part 154 of Commissioner’s Regulations for Pupils with Limited English Proficiency.

Testing and Identification:
Home Language Questionnaire:  The official instrument completed by the parents or guardians of all students upon enrollment in the school. It indicates whether the students or family speak a language other than English by birth or in the home. The HLQ is available in various languages.

Test used for initial screening to determine whether students are limited English proficient by measuring their English language skills in speaking, listening, reading and writing.

The State assessment administered annually to all LEP students to measure their progress in attainment of English language proficiency. It is the exit criteria. It is based on the NYS ESL standards.

Commonly used terms:
ELL/LEP - An English Language Learner/Limited English Proficient, student  is a student whose first language is not English and is in the process of learning English.

BICS – Basic Interpersonal Communication Skills. Language skills needed for conversational everyday communication. BICS is not necessarily related to academic success. It takes up to 2 years to acquire BICS.

CALP - Cognitive Academic Language Proficiency. Language skills associated with skills required for academic achievement in subject matter. Research indicates that it takes 5-7 years to acquire CALP.

For more information on Itinerant Services contact:

Kimberlea Curran
Supervisor of Itinerant Services
607-286-7715 ext. 2608

Jolene Thompson
Keyboard Specialist for Itinerant Services
607-286-7715 ext. 2701


Important Forms (inc. Evaluation Requests)