Legislation and/or Regulation:
Under amendments to the State Education Law and Social Services Law, no school or day care center can apply pesticides to any playgrounds, turf or athletic or playing fields. Requirements are administered by the New York State Education Department for schools and by the Office of Children and Family Services for Day Care Centers.
The School Pesticide Notification requirements are part of the State Education Law and requires routine notification of pesticide applications done in the schools three times each year. The regulation requires, upon request, that parents and staff shall be notified at least 48 hours in advance when applications are made in occupied school buildings.
Additionally, schools are being encouraged to adopt the practices of Integrated Pest management, which stresses the use of alternative means of pest control, using chemical pesticides only when necessary.
What the SRM Service can do to help:
Training and Workshops:
- Arrange pesticide re-certification workshops for district pesticide applicator staff.
- Conduct awareness workshops for school staff and parents.
- Assist district staff in compliance with pesticide applicator requirements.
- Coordinate pest management services with district staff.
- Assist the district in implementation of Integrated Pest Management practices.
- Assist district staff and parents who wish to be notified 48 hours in advance of any pesticide notification during the school year.